The William Paterson University Jazz Sextet Plays Monk and Ellington
William Paterson University has 24 jazz ensembles. Bill Charlap, the renowned pianist who serves as the school's Director of Jazz Studies, brought one of them to perform in our studio for Jazz Appreciation Month.
The ensemble, a sextet, performed three songs for us: "Eronel," by Thelonious Monk; "Sophisticated Lady," by Duke Ellington; and "Grew's Tune," by pianist Mulgrew Miller, who preceded Charlap at the helm of William Paterson's jazz program, before his death in 2013.
The William Paterson University Jazz Sextet, directed by Bill Charlap is (left to right):
- Jesse Taitt, Boston MA: piano
- Josh Dunn, Tasmania, Australia: guitar
- Vincent Dupont, Hudson, NH: bass
- Steve Kirsty, Glenville, NY: tenor saxophone
- Leo Yucht, Shaftsbury, VT: drums
- Tom Killackey, Torrington, CT: trumpet/cornet