Community Advisory Board
Quarterly meeting (FY Q4, 2021-22):
Wed., Sept. 7, 2022 - details to be announced.
All meetings take place online unless otherwise noted.
Minutes from Previous Meetings
Minutes taken are posted on this page when they are approved by the CAB and entered into the record.
What is the WBGO Community Advisory Board? The WBGO Community Advisory Board (CAB) is composed of current WBGO Members who; provide input into programming decisions, review the services and significant policy decisions rendered by the station for WBGO Radio, and WBGO.org.
The purpose of the Community Advisory Board (CAB) is
- to review the policies, programming goals and services provided by WBGO in the New Jersey and New York metropolitan area and surrounding environs; and
- to evaluate the impact on the community of the significant policy decisions made by the station; and
- to advise the Board of Trustees of the effectiveness of WBGO in meeting the educational, informational and cultural needs of the communities served by the station; and
- to be the voice of the communities served by WBGO; and
- to provide a forum for the communities served by WBGO to communicate with the Board of Trustees, the President/CEO and WBGO Staff.
Join the CAB
The WBGO Community Advisory Board is accepting applications. To apply for membership, send a letter of interest to the Newark Public Radio Community Advisory Board c/o Pamela Morgan, Newark Public Radio, 54 Park Place, Newark, NJ 07102, or complete the application form here. Appointment of new members will occur once annually at the Fall meeting. New members will be considered at an earlier interval if vacancies go below the minimum required.
How can I share my feedback if I don't have time to attend a meeting? Sometimes you'd like to share feedback but don't have time to make it to a CAB meeting. We're more than happy to take input online. Just fill out this web form and we'll make sure your message gets to the right place.
WBGO Policy on public comment at CAB Meetings
WBGO’s Community Advisory Board welcomes relevant constructive comment from the public at its meetings. The CAB encourages input from all individuals and groups across the station's listening and viewing area. So that the process will be efficient and productive, the following protocol has been established:
- A "Public Comment" line will be included in the agenda for all regular Community Advisory Board meetings. The comment period will be at the start of the meeting after the adoption of the meeting's agenda and prior to the start of old and new business.
- The total time for public comments will be limited to twenty (20) minutes, with each person limited up to five (5) minutes. Priority recognition will be given to those persons who have not previously addressed the CAB.
- Comments made at CAB meetings, or written inquiries sent to the CAB, must be relevant to the CAB's functions and responsibilities, i.e., programming and/or community involvement.
- Public comments, and any matter submitted, where a response is requested from the CAB must be in writing (e-mail is acceptable) and submitted to the CAB Chair. All written responses will be processed in a timely manner and will be responded to within a reasonable time, to allow time for review by the station's Board of Trustees and management.
- Special CAB meetings, such as public forums, may be held for the sole purpose of gathering public input. For such meetings, this policy can be suspended by CAB directive.
- This policy is subject to cancellation or modification, at any time, in the discretion of the CAB.
Current members of the WBGO Community Advisory Board
Chair: Pamela Morgan, Executive Director, Woman in Media - Newark
Vice Chair: Mark Bess, Professor NJIT College of Architecture and Design
Secretary: Joyce Woodson,
- Brenda Baulkman, Licensed Psychotherapist, Private Practitioner
- Chris Daniel, Producer/Director/Editor
- Ronald Glover, Retired Lieutenant Newark Police Department
- Jackie Harris, producer, Executive Director, Louis Armstrong Educational Foundation, Inc & Louis Armstrong Summer Jazz Camp (New Orleans)
- Barbara E. Hines, Licensed Mental Health Professional
- Carrie Jackson, Jazz Artist
- Peter Kyriacopoulos, Cultural Activist
- Antoinette Montague, Jazz and Blues Singer, CEO Jazz Woman to the Rescue Foundation
- Becca Pulliam, Producer Emeritus WBGO
- Joyce Woodson, Jazz Enthusiast
WBGO Board of Trustees Liaison to the CAB: Linda Epps
- Mike McDonough, Global Finance Professional
- Susan Schear, K. Schear, President & Founder, ARTISIN LLC
- Michael Bond
- Dani Childress, CEO, Lung Transplant Lifeline
- Jazz Artist Virginia De Berry, Co-founder of the New Brunswick Jazz Project, and author
- Richard Noorigian, President, The River Road Improvement Corporation
Previous Meeting Minutes
December 6, 2021
September 13, 2021
June 7, 2021
April 5, 2021
February 15, 2021
December 7, 2020
September 22, 2020
June 4, 2020
March 5, 2020
September 4, 2019
June 12, 2019
March 27, 2019
January 16, 2019
September 5, 2018