WBGO is a proud partner of the TD James Moody Jazz Festival at NJPAC in Newark. We are thrilled to present two member events on Sunday, November 12 on the final day of the festival.
Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal CompetitionNJPAC
Sunday, November 12, 3PM
Member Price: $40
Call 973.624.8880 ext 232 for tickets. Supply is limited.
Join us for a wonderful fall afternoon of Jazz. WBGO Members will enjoy premium seating and a post-show reception.
Following an intensive search, NJPAC and WBGO will host performances by the five finalists in the sixth annual Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal Competition, founded in 2012 in honor of Newark’s “divine” jazz icon.
Rising vocalists from around the globe compete for the chance to perform in the finals for the competition, also known as “The SASSY Awards.” The only event of its kind, this competition is now open to both male and female jazz singers and gives the winner a platform for embarking on a career in the music business.
Singers will be evaluated by a panel of special guest judges, and rated for vocal quality, musicality, technique, performance, individuality, artistic interpretation, and ability to swing. The grand prize winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize, an offer for a record deal with Concord Music Group, and a platform to embark on a career in the music business.
The event is once again hosted by WBGO's Midday Jazz host Rhonda Hamilton and Morning Jazz host Gary Walker will be a judge.
Ella & Dizzy: The Centennial Celebration
Sunday, November 12, 7pm
Member Price: $70
Call 973.624.8880 ext 232. Supply is limited.
Join us for a wonderful fall afternoon of Jazz. WBGO Members will enjoy premium seating and a pre-show reception.
Celebrate the 100th birthdays of Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie with an exclusive lineup of acclaimed jazz artists: Gregory Porter, Lizz Wright, Regina Carter, Valerie Simpson, Randy Brecker and Sean Jones, all backed by the Christian McBride Big Band.
This musical tribute will feature music made famous by Ella and Dizzy, all interpreted by a top-notch cast of contemporary jazz stylists:
- Honey-voiced Lizz Wright, known for a unique style that fuses her gospel roots with jazz, blues, folk and R&B
- GRAMMY nominee Regina Carter, widely considered to be the foremost jazz violinist of her generation
- Valerie Simpson, whose longtime singing and songwriting partnership with Nickolas Ashford produced 22 gold and platinum records and more than 50 ASCAP Awards
- Trumpeter-composer Sean Jones, who has released seven albums as a leader in addition to his work on Nancy Wilson’s GRAMMY-winning LP, Turned to Blue
- Versatile trumpeter and flugelhornist Randy Brecker, a player DownBeat says “has never played an unmusical note or unshapely phrase”
- Velvet-smooth singer-songwriter Gregory Porter, who has earned two “Best Jazz Vocal Album” GRAMMY Awards, for 2014’s Liquid Spirit and 2017’s Take Me to the Alley
- The Christian McBride Big Band, a 17-piece, 21st century ensemble whose debut album, The Good Feeling, received the 2012 GRAMMY Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble