Laurent Saulnier isn't shy when pushing the boundaries of jazz. For 19 years, the V.P. of Programming for the largest jazz festival on the planet has made the case that jazz is much more than swing and bebop, but a style that informs many of the popular sounds we listen to today.
On this edition of the Checkout from the 39th Festival International de Jazz de Montreal, Saulnier introduces to us five artists we should know from Quebec. Some of these artists Saulnier admits he has big hopes for in the future.
Music featured in this segment includes:
- Dominique Fils-Aimé, "Strange Fruit" from Nameless (Ensoul Records)
- Jean-Michel Blais, "Dans Ma Main" from Dans Ma Main (Arts & Crafts)
- The Brooks, "Mama" from Pain & Bliss (Troublemakers, Inc)
- Hichem Khalfa, "Momo" from Réminiscences (651449 Records DK)
- Random Recipe feat. Rhonda Smith, "Out of the Sky" from Distractions (Independent)
The Festival International de Jazz de Montreal continues through this Saturday.
Assistant Producer: Sarah Geledi