Free Tax Preparation For Some Newark Residents
By Monica Miller, WBGO News
Newark. February 27, 2013
It’s that time of year again when Uncle Sam demands his share. Some Newark residents can take advantage of free tax preparation services before the April 15th deadline.
New Jersey families who make $51,000 or less are entitled to free tax return services with the help of IRS certified volunteers. Victor Silva from the non-profit organization Newark Now says the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program helps taxpayers find savings they might miss on their own.
“They can inform tax payers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as the earned income tax credit, child tax credit and other credits such as our credit for the elderly and disabled.”
Silva says they helped roughly 5,000 Newark households IN 2012 collect $12 million in tax refunds.
He suggests bringing the following to three sites located around Newark:
· Personal ID
· Social Security cards, and dates of birth for taxpayer, spouse, children, and other dependents
· Amount of 2012 payments for student loan interest, child care expenses, and college tuition
· All W-2, 1099, and 1098 statements
· Copy of 2011 Income Tax return, if possible
· Any other tax-related documents you have received
· Proof of bank account for direct deposit.
For more information about the VITA program, visit Newark Now. Sliva says the main office is located at Newark City Hall Room B-29.
© 2013 WBGO News
Get the Rundown from WBGO News
A weekly email from WBGO News with a preview of what's coming up and a taste of what you might have missed.