© 2022
WBGO New Record Spine Header
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
News

Door Malfunctioned Causing Smoke To Quickly Spread In Bronx Fire That Killed 17

Emergency first responders remain at the scene after an intense fire at a 19-story residential building that erupted on Sunday in the Bronx, New York City.
Scott Heins
/
Getty Images
Emergency first responders remain at the scene after an intense fire at a 19-story residential building that erupted on Sunday in the Bronx, New York City.

The death toll from Sunday’s Bronx fire has been lowered from 19 to 17 following a miscount. Numerous people still remain hospitalized in critical condition. Most of the fire victims suffered smoke inhalation. Fire Commissioner Dan Nigro says the door to the apartment where the fire started was supposed to automatically close but it remained open when the tenant evacuated, allowing smoke to quickly spread.

“The door on 15 and the door to the fire apartment was not functioning as it should.

The start of the fire was caused by a malfunctioning space heater. Congressman Richie Torres represents the Bronx.

“I am committed to advancing legislation that addresses the manufacturing of space heaters.”

Meanwhile, all donations made to the mayor’s fund will go to family members of the victims.