2013 Jazz Appreciation Month
WBGO Celebrates Jazz Appreciation Month with
the WBGO Jazz Appreciation Month Student Broadcast Festival
Live In-Studio Performances Showcase Youth Jazz Ensembles
As it has done for over a decade, WBGO brought the brightest young jazz talent to its airwaves for our annual Jazz Appreciation Month Student Broadcast Festival this April.
Please explore the links below to these broacasts. WBGO is proud to offer our listeners this glimpse into the future: these students of today are well on their way to becoming the jazz legends of tomorrow.
WBGO's Vice President of Programming and Production, Thurston Briscoe, said, "There are a number of jazz musicians known to all of us who came out of, or are teaching, in one of these schools."
Eleven groups, which ranged from four to twenty-seven members, and from straight-ahead to Afro-Peruvian, starred in this series which aired on WBGO-FM on weekdays from 2 to 3 p.m.
The best student jazz ensembles from around the metro area and Boston broacast live from the WBGO Performance Studio, and were interviewed between songs by host Michael Bourne.
Briscoe has joined forces each year with Martin Mueller, Executive Director at the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music, to build this student broadcast festival, which is produced with support from Berklee College of Music Summer Programs.
- April 1: New Jersey City University Cedar Walton Combo
- April 8: Rutgers University Jazz Ensemble 1
- April 12: William Paterson Hawk Flies Jazz Septet
- April 15: Berklee Ralph Peterson Sextet
- April 16: Juilliard Jazz Artist Diploma Ensemble
- April 17: New School for Jazz Improv Ensemble
- April 18: Manhattan School of Music Chamber Jazz Ensemble
- April 19: LaGuardia High School Senior Band
- April 23: SUNY Purchase Super Sophomores
- April 24: NYU Karachacha Afro-Peruvian Ensemble
- April 25: Queens College International Jazz Band