April 14, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
This is the second post in a new biweekly blog feature, You Don't Know Jazz! With Dr. Lewis Porter.
(PLEASE NOTE: If the reader uses any of the material from this series, no matter how brief, this article and its web address must be cited as the source. Thank you for respecting the intellectual property of Dr. Porter.)
Where did your favorite four-letter-word "Jazz" come from? Not where you think!
When it comes to the origin of the word “jazz,” it seems that each person simply believes what she or he wants to. Some people would like the word to come from Africa, so they firmly believe the stories that support that. Others want it to be an African American word, so they look for that. But professional linguists have been on the case for decades, and the real story is a lot less black and white.
© 2011 WBGO
April 13, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Tonight at 6:30 pm, JazzSet features Billy Childs and Dave Douglas's latest project, Brass Ecstasy.
- Live at 9 pm, Martial Solal plays the Village Vanguard, and you can listen to it live.
- We had a great time celebrating our 32nd birthday with Member Appreciation Weekend. It's never too late, of course, to become a member and support WBGO!
- The Julliard Artists Diploma Ensemble played yesterday in the WBGO studio
- Take a look at all of the other great student musicians coming into our studio this month
- Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings: Read more
© 2011 WBGO