Welcome to Playdate with Matt Wilson, WBGO's new series of highlights from our archive of concert recordings. You can't hear these great live moments anywhere else, so go ahead and bookmark this page right now.
WBGO thanks the musicians who have offered their music to Playdate, and all the concert and radio producers, and engineers who worked over three decades to preserve amazing live jazz.
Read about Playdate in Upbeat here.
Photo by Jimmy Katz.
Playdate Broadcast Schedule
|Billy Taylor||11/1/87||WBGO performance studio|
|Dianne Reeves||10/18/87||WBGO performance studio|
|Wayne Shorter||10/8/82||William Paterson College|
|Fred Hersch Trio||7/4/97||1997 Iowa City Jazz Festival|
|Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra||4/21/85||The Ritz (WBGO Jazzathon)|
|Sir Roland Hanna||4/29/94||Gilmore International Keyboard Festival|
|Bill Lee||12/31/86||WBGO performance studio|
|Clifford Jordan||12/18/82||Village Vanguard|
|Vibration Society||9/11/86||Rutgers U-Newark|
|Jane Ira Bloom||5/5/84||Citi Corp|
|Chick Corea and Gary Burton||3/15/85||Buffalo State College|
|Sun Ra Arkestra||4/20/91||IMAC (Huntington, Long Island)|
|Joe Williams||10/18/87||WBGO performance studio|
|Jimmy Smith||11/8/85||Beacon Theater|
|Joe Henderson||11/8/81||Public Theater|
|Kevin Eubanks/Cameron Brown||2/12/83||The Jazz Forum|
|Ivan Lins||8/7/93||Pasadena Jazz Festival|
|Mario Bauza/Arturo Sandoval||8/20/90||The Village Gate|
|Betty Carter||9/7/92||Detroit Jazz|
|Carnegie Hall Jazz Band||10/21/93||Carnegie Hall|
|Max Roach||5/24/87||WBGO performance studio|
|Max Roach + Strings||5/24/87||WBGO performance studio|
|James Newton||5/9/84||Tower Records|
|Carnegie Hall Jazz Band||3/14/96||Carnegie Hall|
|Kurt Elling||8/1/98||Mount Hood Jazz Festival|
|Stéphane Grappelli||9/7/95||Monterey Jazz Festival|
|Shelly Manne||6/9/84||Long Beach Summer Jazz Festival|
|Lester Bowie and Brass Fantasy||11/89||Brooklyn Academy of Music|
|Bobby McFerrin w/ Astral Project||6/30/99||Cleveland Heights|
|Wynton Marsalis Quintet||4/30/82||New Orleans Jazz Festival|
|Wes "Warmdaddy" Anderson||12/31/96||The New Showcase Lounge|
|Queen Ida||12/31/88||The Great American Music Hall|
|The Either/Orchestra||4/29/90||Wichita Jazz Festival|
|Carmen McRae||12/31/83||The Blue Note|
|Modern Jazz Quartet||9/20/86||Paul Masson Winery|
|Paquito D'Rivera||7/4/93||1993 Iowa City Jazz Festival|
|Carnegie Hall Jazz Band||10/22/92||Carnegie Hall|
|Donald Harrison/Terrence Blanchard Group||1984/1985||Rutgers Univeristy-Livingston|
|Ray Brown/Christian McBride||9/16/94||Monterey Jazz Festival|
|Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers||1/1/83||The Jazz Forum|
|Turtle Island String Quartet||9/1989||Paul Masson Winery|
|Three Baritones Saxophone Band||8/1998||Brevard Jazz Festival|
|Cedar Walton Trio||6/1990||Katz's (Austin, TX)|
|Shirley Horn Trio||11/16/84||Florida Memorial College|
|Carnegie Hall Jazz Band||11/4/99||Carnegie Hall|
|Ray Anderson's Pocket Brass||7/4/97||1997 Iowa City Jazz Festival|
|Dave Holland Quintet||8/1/98||Mount Hood Jazz Festival|
|Harold Mabern||6/9/1984||Citicorp Center|
|Rumba Moreno feat. Steve Turre||12/1998||Havana, Cuba|
|Vocal Sampling||12/1998||Havana, Cuba|
|Roy Hargrove||12/1998||Havana, Cuba|
|Frank Emilio Flynn||12/1998||Havana, Cuba|
|Dee Dee Bridgewater||5/1/1996||The Kennedy Center|
|Carnegie Hall Jazz Band||11/13/97||Carnegie Hall|
|Larry Coryell||4/26/1984||The Village Vanguard|
|Branford Marsalis||8/24/1998||Washington Square Park|
Playdate Web Extras:
- Wayne Shorter Day 1982 with td audio of "Footprints" and "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum."
- "Just Friends" from The Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra at a 1985 WBGO Jazzathon.
- Read words on Ruth Brown by Felix Hernendez and a retrospective on Billy Taylor by Tim Wilkins.
- Chick Corea and Gary Burton play "Armando's Rhumba" at Buffalo State College in 1985.
- A feature article on WBGO's own Dorthaan Kirk.
- Celebrating Sun Ra's centennial.
- Mario Bauzá Afro-Cuban Jazz Orchestra at the Village Gate featuring Arturo Sandoval and Bobby Sanabria.
- Full audio of "Tenor Madness" played by Joe Henderson, and words by Fred Hersch.
- Carnegie Hall Jazz Band on "Sing, Sing, Sing."
- Max Roach Double Quartet live inside WBGO's Performance Studio play "Bright Moments."
- Bonus Audio of Dewey Redman with Geri Allen, and The Dewey Redman Quartet.
- Remembering the 1998 Mount Hood Festival of Jazz and other festivals.
- A Dexter Gordon birthday special.
- Pictures and bonus audio from Astral Project with special guest, Bobby McFerrin.
- Exclusive photos from the 2014 Mardi Gras festivities courtesy of WWOZ.
- Bonus audio from Stefon Harris and The Dity Dozen Brass Band.
- Report on Lester Bowie Day in Brooklyn, March 8, 2014.
- JazzSet - Coast to Coast, written by Becca Pulliam.
- Bonus audio from the MJQ and pianist Carla Bley and bassist Steve Swallow -- coming soon!
- Full interview of Christian McBride and unedited audio of his duet with Ray Brown.
- The sheet music and recording of the original Playdate theme written by Matt Wilson.
- Full audio of Ray Anderson's Pocket Brass playing "I Mean You" from the 1997 Iowa City Jazz Festival.
- Rare audio of Kenny Washington speaking on Art Blakey.
- Bonus audio from Larry Coryell from the Village Vanguard in 1984.
- Full audio from Roy Hargrove playing Lee Morgan's "Sidewinder" in Havana, Cuba -- coming soon!
- Bonus audio from the Carnegie Hall Jazz Band -- coming soon!
with Becca Pulliam and Duke Markos, Executive Producer Josh Jackson.
Check out more WBGO Playdate...
The November 1, 2001, concert opens with this musical prayer at Carnegie Hall in New York.
WBGO's Playdate #8: Dave Holland, Larry Coryell, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Branford Marsalis, field recordings from Havana, Cuba, and much more!
Bonus Audio: Larry Coryell plays "Body and Soul" and "On Green Dolphin Street" with George Braith at the Village Vanguard in 1984.
Bonus Audio: From 1990, the great young drummer, self-declared Jazz Maniac, and WBGO host Kenny Washington reflects on the legacy of Art Blakey.
Bonus Audio: full audio of Ray Anderson's Pocket Brass playing "I Mean You" from the 1997 Iowa City Jazz Festival.
WBGO's Playdate #7 with Art Blakey, Freddie Hubbard, Three Baritones Saxophone Band, Ray Anderson's Pocket Brass, Cedar Walton, and more!
Bonus Audio: The Proclamation was made at the Brooklyn Brass Festival on March 8, 2014, and we chime in with "Good Morning, Heartache" by Bowie's Brass Fantasy from the WBGO Archive.
Bonus Audio: a duet between bassists Ray Brown and Christian McBride. Plus, the full interview form McBride on playing with Brown.
WBGO's Playdate #6 celebrates Dizzy Gillespie with some proteges: The MJQ, Paquito D'Rivera, Jon Faddis, Ray Brown, and more!
Web Extra: Explore the Playdate host's appearances in the WBGO archive, and check out a lead sheet for the Playdate theme.
Bonus Audio:"Bag's Groove" featuring Stefon Harris, and two tunes from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band as heard on Playdate #5.
Web Extra: exclusive photos from the 2014 and 2013 Mardi Gras festivities, courtesy of WWOZ New Orleans 90.7FM.
WBGO's Playdate #5 with Wynton Marsalis, Queen Ida, Astral Project, Wess Anderson, and The Either/Orchestra.
Bonus Audio: Hear New Orleans' Astral Project play "Mahakali" with vocalist Bobby McFerrin.
Web Extra: Highlights from outdoor music festivals captured by JazzSet in the nineties.
Bonus Audio: We celebrate Dexter Gordon's 91st birthday with "Soy Califa," a live track from his 60th birthday party at the Village Vanguard.
Bonus Audio: Stream saxophonist Dewey Redman with pianist Geri Allen at Town Hall in 1991 and The Dewey Redman Quartet at the Iridium in 1996.
WBGO's Playdate #4 with Michael Brecker, Kurt Elling, Max Roach, The Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, and more!
Max Roach Double Quartet performed "Bright Moments" inside the WBGO performance studio in 1987.
Web Extra: Stream "Tenor Madness" by Joe Henderson, and read words by pianist Fred Hersch on playing with the tenor saxophone master.
From a Benny Goodman-themed concert on October 21, 1993, Maestro Jon Faddis and arranger Jim McNeely put the band on its course
WBGO's Playdate #3 with Ivan Lins, Betty Carter, Joe Henderson, The Carnegie Hall Jazz Band, and more!
Bonus Audio Extra: From Machito to Mario Bauzá to Bobby Sanabria, the "Salsa Meets Jazz" series at the Village Gate defined the Latin jazz scene in New York.
Bonus Audio Extra: To celebrate bandleader Sun Ra's 100th birthday, stream "Space is the Place" from a performance by the Arkestra in Huntington, Long Island on April 21, 1991.
Web Extra: She shares memories of her husband, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and how she came to WBGO.
WBGO's Playdate #2 with Chico O'Farrill, Clifford Jordan, Sun Ra, Chick Corea, and much more!
Web Extra: listen to "Armando's Rhumba" performed in 1985 by Chick Corea, piano with Gary Burton, vibes.
Web Extra: Ruth Brown and Billy Taylor were pioneers blues and jazz, respectively, and also had success in the world of public radio.
Web Extra: Words on Mel Lewis, The Village Vanguard, and listen to "Just Friends" from a WBGO Jazzathon.
WBGO's Playdate debuts with Wayne Shorter, Billy Taylor, Ruth Brown, The Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra, and much more!
Bonus Audio Extra: read about Wayne Shorter Day 1982 and hear Shorter play "Footprints" and "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum" live.
Web Extra: join drummer/host Matt Wilson and cornetist Kirk Knuffke as they lay down theme to Playdate.