April 1, 2011. Posted by Simon Rentner.
The NYU Wayne Shorter Ensemble kicks off our Jazz Appreciation Month Festival at WBGO! If you missed their set, click below!
Musicians: Dave Pietro - Director/C-Melody Saxophone, Jason Prover - Trumpet, Brad Mulholland - Alto Saxophone, Grant Fisher - Guitar, Ben Baker - Piano, Marty Isenberg - Bass, Noel Brennan – Drums
Set List: (All tunes are Wayne Shorter adaptations)
Yes or No
-interview with Dave Pietro
-interview with Jason Prover
-interview with Ben Baker
© 2011 WBGO
April 1, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- This morning at 9 a.m., Gary Walker interviews Andy Farber about his most recent CD & performance at Dizzy's later tonight.
- This week's WBGO Journal features an interview with former Newark mayor Sharpe James, his first broadcast interview since being released from prison last year, and more!
Yesterday was a busy day at the station! Some highlights:
- Check out the new exclusive series on the WBGO Blog: You Don't Know Jazz! with Dr. Lewis Porter
- The first post of Dr. Porter's series features a "blues" recording from 1906!
- Vijay Iyer and Tirtha came in for a live studio session
- Take a look at all of the great student musicians coming into our studio this month
- Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings: Read more
© 2011 WBGO
April 1, 2011. Posted by Brandy Wood.
April is Jazz Appreciation Month and here at WBGO we are also appreciating our members in several ways.
April 8-10 is Member Appreciation Weekend with special thank you gifts for new and renewing members. There is also a very special live broadcast from the WBGO performance studio in Newark on April 9 @ 3pm with Dr. Lonnie Smith!
You can also join us on the following Saturdays at 12:30pm for a free WBGO Kids Jazz Concert :
April 9 - Michael Carvin Quartet @ Burgdorff Cultural Center
April 16 - Helen Sung @ Montclair Art Museum
April 30 - Tia Fuller @ Newark Museum
May 7 - Jon Faddis @ New Jersey Performing Arts Center - Victoria Theater
We celebrate on air with an incredible lineup of student ensembles during the Jazz Appreciation Month Student Broadcast Festival live weekdays at 2pm. Hosted by Michael Bourne with series is produced with support from Berklee College of Music Summer Programs:
April 1 – NYU, Wayne Shorter Ensemble
April 4 – Queens College
April 6 – William Paterson
April 8 – New School – The New School Jazz JAM Ensemble, directed by Richard Boukas
April 11 – Manhattan School of Music
April 12 – Juilliard
April 18 – SUNY Purchase – Purchase Jazz Endeavor (Jazz Combo)
April 20 – NJCU – NJCU Jazz Ensemble directed by Ed Joffe
April 22 – Rutgers – Rutgers New Brunswick Jazz Ensemble
April 26 – Berklee College of Music
April 28 – LaGuardia High School
There are other special broadcasts during this appreciation month, including:
April 7, 3pm - Live in studio performance by Marcia Ball
April 13, 9pm - Josh Jackson hosts Live at the Village Vanguard featuring Martial Solal
April 14, 8pm - Newark Today with Mayor Cory Booker
April 22, 8pm - The Mingus Orchestra recorded live at St. Bart’s in Manhattan
© 2011 WBGO