May 10, 2013. Posted by Brandy Wood.
WBGO Travel invites you to enjoy the sun, fun and music at the Newport Jazz Festival, August 2-5, 2013.
Arrive at the Newport Hotel & Marina to a Friday night welcome reception, unload your bags in your harbor view room and then get ready to hear Natalie Cole and the Bill Charlap Trio with Freddy Cole at the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the original home and opening night celebration of the Newport Jazz Festival. Saturday and Sunday mornings, hop aboard the ferry for a wide variety of musical enjoyment at the legendary outdoor Newport Jazz Festival, plus food & drink voucher for the Louis Jadot Café inside historic Fort Adams State Park. Before departing back to reality on Monday, join us for a bon voyage breakfast and take in the view from the marina. WBGO will provide you with an insider’s list of the best places to visit when the music isn’t playing, but when it is, you will hear…
Saturday musical line-up highlights include:
• Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society
• Wayne Shorter's 80th Birthday Celebration
• Robert Glasper Experiment
• Gregory Porter
• Terence Blanchard Quintet
• Bill Charlap Trio with special guests Bob Wilber & Anat Cohen
• Marcus Miller
Sunday musical line-up highlights include:
• Chick Corea & The Vigil with Christian McBride, Tim Garland, Marcus Gilmore & Charles Altura
• Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra
• Dizzy Gillespie™ Big Band under the direction of Paquito D'Rivera
• Hiromi: The Trio Project with Anthony Jackson & Steve Smith
• Joshua Redman Quartet
• Roy Haynes Fountain of Youth Band
• Jim Hall Quartet with Scott Colley, Lewis Nash and special guest Julian Lage
Details of Newport weekend package:
• 3 night hotel stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina. Rooms are all Harbor View.
• Welcome Reception at the hotel on Friday
• Concert ticket for Friday night, 8pm at The International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino
• Festival admission ticket for Saturday & Sunday
• Meal voucher valued at $20 for food & drink at the Louis Jadot Café located on the festival grounds for Saturday and Sunday (total vouchers equaling $40)
• Bon Voyage Breakfast at the marina on Monday morning
• Parking at the hotel for three nights
Festival Gates open at 10am, Saturday Festival Music Program: 10:45am-7pm, Sunday Festival Music Program: 11am-6:45 pm. Ferry passes to festival site not included. Parking at festival not included.Rates & Reservations:
Price: $2,250 includes above detailed package for two people (based on double occupancy)
Inquire about single and family rates.
To make your reservation call 973-624-8880 x269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2013 WBGO
May 9, 2013. Posted by Simon Rentner.
Peter Pullman visited WBGO's Jazz From The Archives last fall to discuss his new book Wail: The Life of Bud Powell with historian Dan Morgenstern. This two-hour special delves into the mysterious life and musical brilliance of the late piano player. Listen to parts I and II of the special below. Pullman and I also collaborated on this NPRMusic feature about 5 essential Bud Powell performances. Enjoy!
© 2013 WBGO
May 8, 2013. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
WBGO's The Checkout! presented a live double bill from 92Y Tribeca of drummer Allison Miller's trio Boom Tic Boom and trumpeter Steven Bernstein's Sexmob on Wednesday, May 8 at 8 p.m. Watch video from both sets here.
Want to hear more? WBGO's HD2 channel for new music, the jazz bee, features Boom Tic Boom's brand-new album, No Morphine, No Lillies, as well as past releases by Miller, Bernstein and their bandmates. Enjoy!
Click here to watch Allison Miller with Boom Tic Boom:
Click here to watch trumpeter Steven Bernstein with Sexmob:
© 2013 WBGO