August 10, 2010. Posted by Andrew Meyer.
Do you remember the Playbill, the Cadillac Club? How about the Key Club or Sparky J’s? Do you know someone, a friend, a parent, a grandparent who used to hang out in Newark’s jazz scene back during the heyday?
WBGO News is looking for first-hand stories of Newark’s rich jazz history to capture as part of a new aural history project. We’re looking for remembrances from those times. What did the places look like, smell like, feel like, etc. Why were they so much fun during that time? What made the jazz clubs the place to be. What did they like about them. What performers did they see there? What songs got people moving? Did they perhaps meet their future spouse at a club?
We’re looking to interview people who have stories to tell about this aspect of Newark’s rich cultural heritage. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can get in touch with news director Doug Doyle at 973-624-8880, ext. 264.
© 2010 WBGO
August 6, 2010. Posted by Becca Pulliam.
Outdoor music on wheels with a little roof over its head -- that's Jazzmobile at parks and neighborhoods for the rest of August. See the schedule here and head on out for free, live music.
Tia Fuller led a fine band at Grant's Tomb, with WBGO's Sheila Anderson as MC. Shamie Royston's on piano, Mimi Jones on bass, Tia on alto, Lee Hogans on trumpet, Rudy Royston on drums.
The group wailed, crickets sang, buses droned, the crowd -- many had toted fancy fold-up chairs from home -- smiled, clapped and approved. One couple danced.
© 2010 WBGO
August 5, 2010. Posted by Kien Lac.
Here's the line up for our broadcast from The Carefusion Newport Jazz Festival:
SATURDAY AUGUST 7, 2010
- 2:00pm - BERKLEE GLOBAL JAZZ INSTITUTE SEPTET
- 2:20pm - JULIAN LAGE
- 3:20pm - JD ALLEN PART TWO
- 3:50pm - TRIO DA PAZ WITH HARRY ALLEN
- 4:50pm - DARCY JAMES ARGUE’S SECRET SOCIETY with BOB BROOKMEYER
- 5:20pm - FLY
- 6:00pm - REZ ABBASI ACOUSTIC QUARTET RAAQ
- 6:30pm - MARIA SCHNEIDER ORCHESTRA
SUNDAY AUGUST 8, 2010
- 11:00am - JAMIE CULLUM
- 11:45am - BEN ALLISON
- 12:20pm - MATT WILSON DOUBLE QUARTET
- 12:50pm - DAVE DOUGLAS BRASS ECSTASY
- 1:50pm - AMINA FIGEROVA
- 2:50pm - GRETCHEN PARLATO
- 3:20pm - DAVE BINNEY QUARTET
- 3:50pm - JON FADDIS QUARTET
- 4:50pm - KEN VANDERMARK POWERHOUSE
- 5:20pm - CONRAD HERWIG’S LATIN SIDE OF HERBIE
- 6:15pm - WYNTON MARSALIS QUINTET AND SPECIAL GUEST DAVE BRUBECK
© 2010 WBGO