WBGO Wins 6 Awards from NY Association of Black Journalists
March 23, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Congratulations are in order for Doug Doyle, Monica Miller, Lanette Espy, Joseph Capriglione and the rest of the WBGO News team! The New York Association of Black Journalists recently gave out six awards to the WBGO News Department. Of the six, they received three first-place awards, more than any other radio station in the New York metropolitan area. NYABJ recognizes the best in Print, New Media, Radio, Magazine and Television reporting of issues that affect the Black Diaspora.
News and sports programming is delivered on weekdays through regularly scheduled news updates and through a series of weekly and monthly programs delivered on air and through podcasts including The WBGO Journal which airs Friday evenings at 7:30 pm.
“WBGO News takes great pride in telling many of the overlooked stories that affect all of our listeners including those impacting the African-American community. We’re thrilled NYABJ continues to recognize so many different kinds of reporting, many of them showcased in our public affairs program, The WBGO Journal,” said News Director Doug Doyle.
WBGO news staffers received awards in the following categories:
· Reporter Lanette Espy and producer Doug Doyle win first place in the General Feature: Long Category for Underground Railroad -- listen to the feature here.
· Host Doug Doyle and reporters Andrew Meyer, Gary Walker and Michael Bourne win first place in the Radio Public Affairs Category for WBGO Journal: Porgy and Bess -- listen to the segment here.
· Reporter Joseph Capriglione and producer Doug Doyle win first place in the Education Category for Books and Beyond -- listen to the piece here.
· Doyle’s interview with ESPN’s Chris Broussard took second place in the Sports Category -- listen to the interview here.
· Reporter Monica Miller was recognized in two categories: Arts & Entertainment and Spot News, for Newark Cold Case and Remembering Lena Horne -- listen to the latter selection here.
Other news and sports programming includes Newark Today, a monthly, live one-hour call-in show featuring Newark Mayor Cory Booker; Conversations with Allan Wolper, a monthly podcast of interviews with personalities whose ideas are on the cutting edge; and Sportsjam, a podcast and on-demand feature featuring players, owners, broadcasters, fans and musicians hosted by News and Sports Director Doug Doyle.
The WBGO News Department has won more than 50 NYABJ Awards since Doug Doyle took over the news department in 1998.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.