WBGO Travel: Newport Jazz Festival 2015 Day Trips
January 13, 2015. Posted by Brandy Wood.
WBGO Travel invites you to hop aboard the bus from either New York City (Jazz at Lincoln Center, 10 Columbus Circle), Brooklyn (BRIC House, 647 Fulton St. at Rockwell Place), New Jersey (NJPAC, 1 Center Street, Newark) or Boston (Berklee School of Music, 1140 Boylston Street) or Old Lyme, CT (The Side Door Jazz Club, 85 Lyme Street, Old Lyme, CT) for a direct ride to the front gate of the 61st Anniversary of the Newport Jazz Festival in Newport, Rhode Island on Friday, July 31, Saturday, August 1 or Sunday, August 2. This excursion includes: round trip bus travel from departure location directly to the festival gate and general admission ticket to the festival for the full day. Bus will have wifi, restroom and reclining bucket seats.
The full lineup is listed below, and includes exciting artists such as Cassandra Wilson, Dr. John, Chris Botti, Jamie Cullum, Snarky Puppy, Maria Schneider, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Fred Hersch, Billy Childs, Bill Frisell, Arturo Sandoval, Ambrose Akinmusire and More.
Buses have varying departure times, please check below for specific times from your departure location. At the end of each day, buses leave from the front gate of the Newport Jazz Festival. Return times leaving festival are as follows: Friday 6PM, Saturday & Sunday 7PM.
Details of RT New York City (Jazz at Lincoln Center) to Newport trip:
• Friday – board the bus at 6:15AM at Jazz at Lincoln Center (10 Columbus Circle NY, NY) located at The Time Warner Building at the front circle. Bus will depart promptly at 6:45AM.
• Saturday – board the bus at 6AM at Jazz at Lincoln Center (10 Columbus Circle NY, NY) located at The Time Warner Building at the front circle. Bus will depart promptly at 6:30AM.
• Sunday – board the bus about 7AM at Jazz at Lincoln Center (10 Columbus Circle NY, NY) located at The Time Warner Building at the front circle. Bus will depart promptly after arrival. The bus will be coming from NJPAC, please be flexible with arrival time.
• This location only will have an extra drop in Harlem on the way back to Jazz at Lincoln Center.
Details of RT Brooklyn (BRIC House) to Newport trip:
• Saturday or Sunday – board the bus at 6AM at BRIC House located at 647 Fulton St. at Rockwell Place. Bus will depart promptly at 6:30AM.
Details of RT New Jersey (NJPAC) to Newport trip:
• Saturday or Sunday – board the bus at 6AM at NJPAC located at 1 Center Street, Newark. Bus will depart promptly at 6:30AM.
• Parking will be available at Military Park Garage.
Details of RT Boston (Berklee) to Newport trip:
• Friday – board the bus at 8:15AM at Berklee School of Music located at 1140 Boylston Street. Bus will depart promptly at 8:45AM.
• Saturday or Sunday – board the bus at 8:15AM at Berklee School of Music located at 1140 Boylston Street. Bus will depart promptly at 8:45AM.
Details of RT Old Lyme, CT (The Side Door Jazz Club) to Newport trip:
• Saturday or Sunday – board the bus at 8:15AM at The Side Door Jazz Club located at 85 Lyme Street, Old Lyme, CT. Bus will depart promptly at 8:30AM. The bus will be coming from NYC, please be flexible with arrival time.
Line up for the festival*:
Friday, July 31, 2015, 11:30 am – 6:00 pm
Fort Adams State Park, 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI 02840Snarky PuppyChristian McBride Trio w Christian Sands & Ulysses OwensJohn Hollenbeck Large EnsembleAmbrose Akinmusire QuartetSteve Lehman OctetKneebodyGerald Clayton Quintet w Ambrose Akinmusire, Ben Wendel, Joe Sanders & Justin BrownBria Skonberg QuintetHerlin Riley QuintetLucky Peterson – Singin' The BluesMatana Roberts' Coin CoinJohnathan Blake QuartetPeter Evans QuinteThe Berklee Concert Jazz Orchestra w special guest soloist Sean Jones
University of Rhode Island Newport Big Band show/hide
Saturday, August 1, 2015, 10:30 am – 7:00 pm
Fort Adams State Park, 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI 02840Cassandra Wilson celebrates Billie HolidayJon Batiste and Stay HumanMaria Schneider OrchestraIrvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz OrchestraCécile McLorin SalvantJosé JamesPat Martino Organ TrioConrad Herwig's Latin Side of Horace Silver fea. guest Michel CamiloJack DeJohnette's Made in ChicagoHiromi: The Trio Project w Anthony Jackson & Simon PhillipsKenny Garrett QuintetWycliffe Gordon & FriendsTom Harrell Quintet w Wayne Escoffery, Danny Grissett, Ugonna Okegwo & Johnathan BlakeIntroducing Joey Alexander
RI Music Educators Association Sr. All-State Jazz Ensemble show/hide
Sunday, August 2, 2015, 10:30 am – 7:00 pm
Fort Adams State Park, 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI 02840Jamie CullumArturo SandovalDr. John and The Nite TrippersMichel Camilo/Hiromi Piano DuetsMike Stern/Bill Evans BandArturo O'Farrill's Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra w special guest Rudresh MahanthappaBill Frisell Trio w Tony Scherr & Kenny WollesenBilly Childs’ Jazz-Chamber EnsembleJon Faddis: Triumph of Trumpets w Marquis Hill, Sean Jones, David Hazeltine, Kiyoshi Kitagawa & Dion ParsonsJames Carter Sextet - Living My Life: The Music of Don ByasFred Hersch Trio w John Hebert & Eric McPhersonLou Donaldson QuartetScott Robinson’s DoctetteJason Lindner Now vs. Now
Massachusetts Music Educators Association All-State Jazz Band show/hide
*Schedule Subject to Change Visit newportjazzfest.org for most up to date listing.
Rates & Reservations:
Same Day Round Trip from NYC, NJ & Brooklyn
WBGO Member price per person: Friday - $185, Saturday/Sunday - $225
Non-Member price per person: Friday - $205, Saturday/Sunday - $245
Student price per person: Friday - $145, Saturday/Sunday - $165
(must show valid student ID at festival gate)
Round Trip from Boston & Old Lyme, CT
WBGO Member price per person: Friday - $145, Saturday/Sunday - $185
Non-Member price per person: Friday - $165, Saturday/Sunday - $205
Student price per person: Friday - $120, Saturday/Sunday - $140
(must show valid student ID at festival gate)
Bus cancellation policy:
Until May 15 – guest will receive a full refund, less a $25 processing fee.
Until June 20 – guest will receive a 50% refund.
Until July 14 – guest can transfer their package to another guest, no refund after this date.
For questions or reservations call 973-624-8880 x247 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.Get your WBGO Folding ChairIf you do not have a chair that meets the regulations of the Festival, we will have some onsite for purchase. If you advise us by reply email or phone that you are interested we will have it for you when you arrive for $30. Should you purchase it onsite it will be $40.
Dimensions are : 29”H x 19” W x 19” L. Seat to floor is approx. 18” H. Weight limit – approx. 250 lbs. It folds and fits into a carrying case with a strap, they are lightweight and easy to move about. Available in red or blue. There is limited availability!
© 2015 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.