May 21, 2014. Posted by Carmen Balentine.
WBGO and 2 Gateway Center invite you to celebrate the 35th Anniversary of WBGO 88.3 FM at the monthly free concert series featuring Clifton Anderson on Wednesday, June 4 at 12pm.
Trombonist Clifton Anderson grew up surrounded by music. His father was a church organist /choir director, and his mother a singer and pianist. When he was just seven years old he got his first trombone, a gift from his uncle Sonny Rollins. Anderson got the call to join his uncle's group in 1983 and worked with him touring worldwide and appearing on ten of Sonny’s recordings. He left Sonny’s band in 2009 to actively lead his own group full time.
Anderson has worked with a “who’s who” of diverse musical giants including Frank Foster, McCoy Tyner, Stevie Wonder, Dizzy Gillespie, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Paul Simon, Keith Richards, WyClef Jean, and T.S. Monk among others. His recordings as a leader/producer include the critically acclaimed Landmarks and Decade which led to a nomination for 2009 “Trombonist Of The Year” from The American Jazz Journalists Association. His latest recording And So We Carry On reached #4 on national jazz radio in the US and was picked as “One of the top CD releases of 2012” by Jazz Inside Magazine. He is now working with his stellar quintet in support of the recording.
Anderson says, “With people increasingly faced with turmoil, uncertainty and crisis, I wanted to create music that uplifts the listener and offers a sense of hope to prevail”.
Come and uplift your spirit with WBGO, Clifton Anderson and 2 Gateway.
© 2014 WBGO
May 21, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Academy Award-nominated actor Michael Shannon, a star of HBO's Boardwalk Empire, hosts an hour with Gary Walker and talks about his love for jazz and selects music which includes Paul Chambers, Gerry Mulligan, Bill Frisell, Jimmy Smith, and John Coltrane. Enjoy!
© 2014 WBGO
May 18, 2014. Posted by Kien Lac.
We are proud of the WBGO volunteers, a fantastic group of dedicated Jazz 88.3 FM supporters. Thanks for donating your time during the Spring Membership Campaign.
We also give thanks and recognition to the following restaurants, caterers and bakers in the New Jersey/New York metro area for supporting our campaign by providing delicious food for the volunteers and staff.
WBGO could not do this campaign without all of our supporters. We welcome you to join us. If you are interested in becoming a WBGO volunteer or donating food during our next campaign drive, please contact Sylvia Brewer at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 973-624-8880 ext. 235.
- 16 Prospect Wine Bar & Bistro (Westfield, NJ)
- Barry’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Brooklyn, NY)
- Best Western Robert Treat (Newark, NJ)
- Bragman’s Delicatessen & Restaurant (Newark, NJ)
- Chateau of Spain (Newark, NJ)
- Casa di Pizza (Westfield, NJ)
- Ciao Pizza (Union, NJ)
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Springfield, NJ)
- Gem Tullock
- Hero King Sandwich Shop (Newark, NJ)
- Hobby’s Restaurant & Delicatessen (Newark, NJ)
- Luscious Little Dessert Company (New Rochelle, NY)
- Maadiah Café ( Montclair, NJ)
- Maize Restaurant (Newark, NJ)
- MSS Vending, Inc. (East Orange, NJ)
- Sandy Sasso
- Shanghai Jazz Restaurant & Bar (Madison, NJ)
- Spanish Pavillion (Harrison, NJ)
- Supreme Bakery (West Orange, NJ)
- SuzyQue's BBQ & Bar (West Orange, NJ)
- The Black Cow Coffee Company ( Croton-on-Hudson; Pleasantville, NY)
- The Wood Pit Barbecue (Montclair, NJ)
- Tinga Taqueria (Montclair, NJ)
- Two Boots Pizza (Jersey City, NJ)
© 2014 WBGO