SFJAZZ Center Opening Night: Live In Concert
January 23, 2013. Posted by WBGO.Chick Corea (piano) and Bill Frisell duet during the opening night concert at the new SFJAZZ Center. (Image Credit: Scott Chernis/Courtesy of SFJAZZ)
Thirty years after presenting its first concerts in San Francisco, the organization SFJAZZ has built a permanent home and performance venue. The SFJAZZ Center, conceived as the first stand-alone building for jazz in the U.S., opened with a star-studded concert on Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013. WWOZ, WBGO and NPR Music teamed up for a live radio and online video broadcast of the concert.
Note: A full archive of the concert will be made available pending permissions. Video excerpts will also be available shortly.
- Percussion Invocation
- John Santos, Pete Escovedo and ensemble, "Ti Mon Bo" (Puente)
- Mary Stallings with SFJAZZ High School All-Stars, "I Love Being Here With You" (Lee, arr. Eberhart)
- Jason Moran & Eric Harland, "Yacht Club Swing" (Waller)
- Chick Corea & Bill Frisell, "It Could Happen To You" (Van Heusen/Burke)
- Chick Corea, Esperanza Spalding, Jeff Ballard, "Alice In Wonderland" (Fain)
- Joe Lovano, Joshua Redman and ensemble, "Blackwell's Message" (Lovano)
- Regina Carter with SFJAZZ High School All-Stars, "Don't Git Sassy" (Jones)
- SFJAZZ Collective, "Mastermind" (Zenon)
- Esperanza Spalding & Eric Harland, "Look No Further" (Rodgers)
- Joshua Redman and ensemble, "Remember" (Berlin)
- McCoy Tyner and ensemble, "Walk Spirit, Talk Spirit" (Tyner)
- McCoy Tyner and ensemble, featuring Bobby Hutcherson, Bill Frisell and John Handy, "Blues On The Corner" (Tyner)
- SFJAZZ Collective featuring Chick Corea, "Spain" (Corea)
Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.
- Bill Cosby, Master of Ceremonies
- McCoy Tyner, piano
- Chick Corea, piano
- Esperanza Spalding, bass/voice
- Joshua Redman, tenor saxophone
- Joe Lovano, tenor saxophone
- Bobby Hutcherson, vibraphone
- Mary Stallings, voice
- John Handy, alto saxophone
- Pete Escovedo, timbales
- Eric Reed, piano
- Eric Harland, drums
- SFJAZZ Center Resident Artistic Directors: Regina Carter, violin; Bill Frisell, guitar; Jason Moran, piano; John Santos, percussion; Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone/percussion
- SFJAZZ Collective: Miguel Zenón, alto saxophone; David Sánchez, tenor saxophone; Andre Hayward, trombone; Avishai Cohen, trumpet; Stefon Harris, vibraphone; Edward Simon, piano; Matt Penman, bass; Jeff Ballard, drums
- SFJAZZ High School All-Star Big Band: Paul Contos, director.
© 2013 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.