Morning Cup of Jazz 11/8/11
November 8, 2011. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Today at WBGO:
- It's election day, WBGO's award-winning news team will bring you coverage at the top ofthe hour all night, starting at 8 p.m., with hosts Andrew Meyer and Doug Doyle.
- At 2 p.m., Paquito D’Rivera joins host Michael Bourne to discuss his performances this weekend of compositions by Argentinian composer Astor Piazolla at Jazz at Lincoln Center.
At 6:30 p.m, The Checkout features interviews with drummer Ben Perowsky and saxophonist Bill McHenry, and WBGO studio performance by pianist David Budway’s quartet.
- At 7:30 p.m., Maria Hinojosa hosts Latino USA, a half-hour weekly English language radio and Web magazine produced from a Latino perspective.
- Join us tomorrow night at 9 p.m. for a live broadcast from the Village Vanguard with saxophonist Bill McHenry, with Orrin Evans on piano, Eric Reevis on bass and Andrew Cyrille on drums. Join us online at the same time for a live chat with WBGO and NPR hosts, and with the artists during intermission!
- On Wednesday, November 16, WBGO hosts a members night at the 92Y Tribeca, with vibraphonist Warren Wolff and Wolfpack and guitarist Lage Lund. Members will get to meet the artists, a free gift and refreshments, and your choice of the best seats in the house. See you there!
Click through for more of today’s musical happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
Lenny Andrade and her trio are at Jazz at Lincoln Center
Grupo Los Santos is at Cornelia Street Café
Sandy Stewart & Bill Charlap are at the Algonquin Hotel
Chick Corea’s 70th Birthday Celebration is at the Blue Note
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Bertha Hope – 1936
Don Byron – 1958
John O'Gallagher – 1964
Russell Malone – 1963
Warren Battiste - 1925
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.