Morning Cup of Jazz 11/21/11
November 21, 2011. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Today at WBGO:
- Vote for your Thanksgiving jazz favorites! Choose your favorite groups, vocalists and instrumentalists, and we will play them every hour over the four-day Thanksiving weekend.
- At 6:30 p.m., host Wendell Pierce reviews the legacy of the Modern Jazz Quartet on Jazz at Lincoln Center.
- At 7:30 p.m., join Steve Adubato and Rafael Pi Roman for the New Jersey Capitol Report with Congressman Leonard Lance, Assemblywoman Valerie Vanieri Huttle and other guests.
- We had a great time last Thursday at the Berklee College of Music in Boston with trumpeter Christian Scott. Check out our video and audio archive of the event, and join us on December 7 for our next broadcast from Berklee, with saxophonist Seamus Blake.
- Check out producer Simon Rentner's feature on jazz and electronica over at NPRMusic.org.
Click through for more of today’s musical happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
Manhattan School of Music Jazz Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble is at Jazz at Lincoln Center
Allen Toussaint is at Joe's Pub
Ari Hoenig & "Punkbop" are at Smalls
Karl Berger's Stone Workshop Orchestra is at The Stone
Chick Corea’s 70th Birthday Celebration is at the Blue Note
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Alphonse Mouzon – 1948
Charlie Palmieri – 1927
Coleman Hawkins – 1904
Dr. John - 1940
Sal Salvador - 1925
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.