Morning Cup of Jazz 3/3/11
March 3, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- On display at the WBGO Art Gallery: "The Way We Were: A Pictorial of Club Harlem"
- Join millions of Americans in a campaign to save public broadcasting from devastating planned cutbacks.
- WBGO's Simon Rentner offers up some jazz "train"-ing at NPR Music.
- Jon Faddis and the WBGO members had a great time at last week's Members Night event.
- Patrick Cornelius played a studio session for yesterday's edition of The Checkout, now available online.
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Bruce Barth at Smalls
- Fred Hersch and Julian Lage at the Jazz Standard
- Nicholas Payton Big Band at J@LC
- The O'Farrill Brothers Big Band at the Jazz Gallery
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Barney Bigard -- 1906
Jimmy Garrison -- 1933
Recordings cut on this date (click links for audio!)
Red Nichols, "Bugle Call Rag" -- 1927
Bessie Smith feat. "Big" Charlie Green, "Trombone Cholly" -- 1927
Duke Ellington, "I Let a Song Go Out Of My Heart" -- 1938
Artie Shaw, "Frenesi" -- 1940
Johnny Hodges, "A Gentle Breeze" -- 1951
Clifford Jordan, "Blowing In From Chicago" -- 1957
Stanley Turrentine, "Another Story" -- 1969
Stan Getz, "Captain Marvel" --1972
Stan Getz and Kenny Barron, "People Time" -- 1991
Phronesis, "Alive" -- 2010
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.