Morning Cup of Jazz 2/9/11
February 9, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Josh Jackson interviewed Wayne Shorter for this week's edition of The Checkout. The interview aired yesterday; listen to it here. Seriously, take the time to listen -- this is a really deep interview.
- Tonight at 6:30, JazzSet features Mulgrew Miller's excellent performance from the Detroit Jazz Festival.
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Steve Wilson at the Jazz Standard (celebrating his 50th birthday!)
- Mitch Marcus at Puppet's Jazz Bar
- Chris Potter at the Village Vanguard
- Some guy named Wayne Shorter at Town Hall
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Bill Evans (the saxophonist) -- 1958
Walter Page -- 1900
Steve Wilson -- 1961
Recordings cut on this date (click links for video!)
The Cotton Pickers, "Way Down Yonder in New Orleans" -- 1923
Bessie Smith, "Thinking Blues" -- 1928
Dizzy Gillespie, "Groovin' High" -- 1945
Hank Mobley, "Peckin' Time" -- 1958
George Benson, "It's Uptown" -- 1966
Clifford Jordan, "The Adventurer" -- 1978
Duduka Da Fonseca, "Samba Jazz Fantasia" -- 2003
- Jim Macnie with more on Wayne Shorter
- George Colligan drops some knowledge on an aspiring improviser
- Armstrong expert Ricky Riccardi expounds upon the anniversary of Satchmo's 1951 Pasadena concert
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.