Morning Cup of Jazz 2/18/11
February 18, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- The WBGO Journal this week covers race cars, new TV shows, George Shearing and more -- tonight at 7:30.
- WBGO is airing "Lift Every Voice!" a special documentary series that celebrates the rich African American choral music tradition. In case you miss it, the full series will appear early next week right here at the blog.
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
- Esperanza who? WBGO listeners know what's up.
- An inspirational interview with former NEA top dog Dana Gioia.
- Victor Lewis on lessons learned from Woody Shaw and Dexter Gordon.
- Gary Walker's first weekly installment of new jazz at WBGO.
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Antonio Sanchez at 55 Bar
- Oregon at Birdland
- Dan Tepfer/Paul Motian at Cornelia Street Cafe
- Mingus Big Band at the Jazz Standard
- George Cables at Puppet's Jazz Bar
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Frank Butler -- 1928
Randy Crawford -1952
Al Foster -- 1944
Recordings cut on this date (click links for video!)
Bix Beiderbecke, "Fidgety Feet" -- 1924
Teddy Wilson feat. Billie Holiday, "That Mood I'm In" -- 1937
Lester Young, "Easy Does It" -- 1947
Jimmy Smith, "A New Sound, A New Star" -- 1956
Lee Morgan, "Dizzy Atmosphere" -- 1957
Art Blakey, "Roots and Herbs" -- 1961
Nancy Wilson, "Today, Tomorrow, Forever" -- 1964
Miles Davis, "In a Silent Way" -- 1969
Dave Holland, "Razor's Edge" -- 1986
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.