Morning Cup of Jazz 2/16/11
February 16, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Tonight at 6:30, JazzSet features Arturo O'Farrill & the Afro-Latin Orchestra at Newport. Arturo gives a blistering set with trumpeter Jon Faddis as special guest.
- And at 7:30, World Vision Report brings the latest update on Egypt.
- This week, WBGO is airing "Lift Every Voice!" a special documentary series that celebrates the rich African American choral music tradition. In case you miss it, the full series will appear later this week right here at the blog.
- Race car driver Chase Mattioli sat down with host Doug Doyle for Sports Jam to talk about what motivates the 21-year old to excel on and off the race track.
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
- Even MTV got in on the action ... when do you think was the last time they covered jazz?
- Pianist George Shearing passed away at age 91.
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- McCoy Tyner at the Blue Note
- Noah Preminger at the Jazz Standard
- "Jazz in India: Uncovering the Story" at Rutgers-Newark
- Warren Vache & Nicki Parrot at Shanghai Jazz
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Pete Christlieb -- 1945
Jeff Clayton -- 1954
Charlie Fowlkes -- 1916
Recordings cut on this date (click links for video!)
Bessie Smith, "Down Hearted Blues" -- 1923
Count Basie, "Every Tub" -- 1938
Art Tatum, "Taboo" -- 1953
Clifford Brown, "At Basin Street" -- 1956
Sonny Stitt & Jack McDuff, "Stitt Meets Brother Jack" -- 1962
Weather Report, "Weather Report" -- 1971
Chet Baker, "You Can't Go Home Again" -- 1977
Louie Bellson, "Airmail Special" -- 1990
Terence Blanchard, "Bounce" -- 2003
Brad Mehldau, "Highway Rider" -- 2009
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.