Morning Cup of Jazz 2/15/11
February 15, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Thanks to everyone who helped make our pledge drive a smashing success! If you missed out, though, you can pledge support online anytime.
- And at 7:30, Latino USA looks at the recent AOL/Huffington Post merger and its impact on minority communities.
- Are you following Evening Jazz DJ Awilda Rivera on Twitter yet?
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Orrin Evans and Paul Abler at Whole Foods
- Sean Smith Quartet at 55 Bar
- Joe Locke at Jazz @ Lincoln Center
- Seamus Blake at the Jazz Standard
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
- Harold Arlen -- 1905
- Taft Jordan -- 1915
- Henry Threadgill -- 1944
Recordings cut on this date (click links for audio)
- Earl Hines, "Beau Koo Jack" -- 1929
- Artie Shaw, "Love Is Good For Anything That Ails You" -- 1937
- Cootie Williams, "Toasted Pickles" -- 1940
- Duke Ellington, "Take the 'A' Train" -- 1941
- Chet Baker, "Chet Baker Sings" -- 1954
- Lee Morgan, "Search For the New Land" -- 1964
- John Coltrane, "Stellar Regions" -- 1967
- Ella Fitzgerald and Count Basie, "A Classy Pair" -- 1979
- Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, "That's All" -- 1983
- Pat Martino, "Stone Blue" -- 1998
- Brad Mehldau, "Live in Tokyo" -- 2003
- Willard Jenkins talks to JD Allen
- Doug Ramsey on the origins of "Dear Old Stockholm"
- Peter Hum offers his list of quintessential jazz since 1980
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.