Morning Cup of Jazz 2/14/11
February 14, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
- Thanks to everyone who helped make our pledge drive a smashing success! If you missed out, though, you can pledge support online anytime.
- Host Wendell Pierce and Jazz at Lincoln Center feature vocalist Kurt Elling and accordionist Richard Galliano as they explore the art of the ballad.
- Are you following Evening Jazz DJ Awilda Rivera on Twitter yet?
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Cecil's Big Band w/ Mike Lee at Cecil's Jazz Club
- Mingus Dynasty at the Jazz Standard
- The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra at the Village Vanguard
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
- Rob McConnell -- 1935
- Maceo Parker -- 1943
Recordings cut on this date (click links for audio)
- Red Nichols, "I Want To Be Happy" -- 1930
- Billie Holiday, "Stay With Me" -- 1955
- Modern Jazz Quartet, "Bluesology" -- 1956
- Dave Brubeck, "Brubeck Plays Music from West Side Story" -- 1960
- James Moody, "Don't Look Away Now" -- 1969
- Art Blakey, "Gypsy Folk Tales" -- 1977
- Kenny Wheeler, "The Widow in the Window" -- 1990
- Stefon Harris, "Black Action Figure" -- 1999
- Avishai Cohen, "At Home" -- 2004
- Patrick Jarenwattananon takes a trip around the Jazz Internet
- Arturo O'Farrill headlines this week's JazzSet
- WBGO's Simon Rentner on the many faces of "I Got Rhythm"
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.