Morning Cup of Jazz 2/11/11
February 11, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Tonight on the WBGO Journal: Doug Doyle examines Amtrak's resurrection of the commuter rail tunnel, Terry Sheridan reports on a new Apollo Theater museum exhibit, and more!
- Are you following Evening Jazz DJ Awilda Rivera on Twitter yet?
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Nasheet Waits Equality Band at Cornelia Street Cafe
- Savion Glover at the Community Theater in Morristown
- The Fourth Annual Princeton Jazz Festival
- Chris Potter at the Village Vanguard
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Didier Lockwood -- 1956
Sergio Mendes -- 1941
Recordings cut on this date (click links for video!)
Red Nichols and Miff Mole, "Davenport Blues" -- 1927
Duke Ellington, "Creole Love Call" -- 1932
Jazz at the Philharmonic, "Carnegie Hall Concert" -- 1949
Sonny Stitt, "Super Stitt!" -- 1954
Bud Powell, "Swingin' With Bud" -- 1957
Eddie "Lockjaw" David, "Jaw's Blues" -- 1981
Medeski, Martin and Wood, "Farmer's Reserve" -- 1997
- WBGO's Simon Rentner on the many faces of "I Got Rhythm"
- If you still haven't heard it, Josh Jackson interviewed Wayne Shorter for this week's edition of The Checkout. The interview aired yesterday; listen to it here. Seriously, take the time to listen -- this is a really deep interview. For even more, listen to the full show online.
- Phil Freeman has a great review up at the Village Voice blog.
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.