Morning Cup of Jazz 2/10/11
February 10, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Today at WBGO:
- Josh Jackson interviewed Wayne Shorter for this week's edition of The Checkout. The interview aired yesterday; listen to it here. Seriously, take the time to listen -- this is a really deep interview. For even more, listen to the full show online.
- Tonight's edition of Piano Jazz features Billy Childs.
- Are you following Evening Jazz DJ Awilda Rivera on Twitter yet?
Click through to learn more about today's jazz happenings:
Highlights From Today's WBGO Music Calendar:
- Nasheet Waits Equality Band at Cornelia Street Cafe
- Freddie Bryant and Kaleidoscope at Zinc Bar
- Chris Potter at the Village Vanguard
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Sir Roland Hanna -- 1932
Rufus Reid -- 1944
Chick Webb -- 1909
Recordings cut on this date (click links for video!)
Arthur Pryor, "Frozen Bill Ragtime Cakewalk" -- 1909
Earl Hines, "Pianology" -- 1937
John Lewis, "2 Degrees East 3 Degrees West" -- 1956
Bill Evans, "Bill Evans" -- 1962
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, "Free For All" -- 1964
Pat Martino, "Exit" -- 1976
Elvin Jones, "Earth Jones" -- 1982
Jim Hall, "These Rooms" -- 1988
Christian McBride, "Sci-Fi" -- 2000
- The Checkout is available as a full-show podcast
- WBGO's Simon Rentner on the many faces of "I Got Rhythm"
To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too! Or, find us on Facebook.
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.