October 28, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Singers Kate Kelsey-Sugg & Sarah McKenzie talk with Sheila Anderson about being finalists in the 2014 Sarah Vaughan International Jazz Vocal Competition. Both perform on Nov. 16 at NJPAC in Newark for the 2014 Sassy Award. Enjoy!
© 2014 WBGO
October 25, 2014. Posted by David Tallacksen.
October is Newark Poetry Month and WBGO is celebrating!
Jazz Vocalist Annie Ross is probably best know for her part in the vocal trio Lambert, Hendricks & Ross. She still performs regularly in New York, and has a new album dedicated to Billie Holiday. Ross recently sat down to talk with Michael Bourne about the new album, which features a poem Ross wrote for the project. Listen to Ross read the poem below.
To Lady and More
I heard her first on record
I was 15 years old
The song she sang was “Strange Fruit”
It made my blood run cold
She became my idol
my mentor, my friend
She remained my favorite
until the very end
Your voice was always in my head
Its message, clear and true
Lady Baby, all my love
This one is for you.
© 2014 WBGO
October 23, 2014. Posted by WBGO.
Blue Note Records turns 75 this year, and to celebrate, Washington, D.C.'s John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts hosted a concert featuring some of the record label's living legends and rising stars. From the early years with co-founder Alfred Lion to the revitalization under Bruce Lundvall, Blue Note Records has become and remained one of the most iconic brands in jazz.
On Jazz Night in America, hear highlights from the Kennedy Center stage, and reflections on the label's influence with Norah Jones, Terence Blanchard and Dianne Reeves. Blue Note artist Jason Moran guest hosts this episode.
- Robert Glasper & Jason Moran, "Boogie Woogie Stomp" (Glasper, piano; Moran, piano)
- Bobby Hutcherson & McCoy Tyner, "Fly With The Wind" (Hutcherson, vibraphone; Tyner, piano)
- Dianne Reeves, "Stormy Weather" (Reeves, voice; Terence Blanchard, trumpet; Peter Martin, piano; Derrick Hodge, bass; Kendrick Scott, drums)
- Joe Lovano, "Fort Worth" (Lovano, tenor saxophone; Lionel Loueke, guitar; Fabian Almazan, piano; Derrick Hodge, bass; Kendrick Scott, drums)
- Norah Jones, "I've Got To See You Again" (Jones, voice; Wayne Shorter, saxophone; Jason Moran, piano; John Patitucci, bass; Brian Blade, drums)
- Lou Donaldson feat. Dr. Lonnie Smith, "Alligator Boogaloo" (Donaldson, alto saxophone; Smith, organ; Lionel Loueke, guitar; Kendrick Scott, drums)
- Lou Donaldson feat. Dr. Lonnie Smith, "Blues Walk" (same personnel)
Duke Markos, recording and remix engineer. Special thanks to Kevin Struthers and Jean Thill of the Kennedy Center.
© 2014 WBGO