Introducing The Morning Cup of Jazz 1/26/11
January 26, 2011. Posted by Alex Rodriguez.
Good morning, jazz lover! Today, WBGO introduces a new blog feature that we hope you'll add to your morning routine: The Morning Cup of Jazz.
Every morning, we'll post a few interesting tidbits from yesterday's jazz news and preview what's coming up today at the station. So add us to your RSS reader, bookmark the page, or just keep coming back for your daily jolt of jazz info every weekday morning.
Here's a recap of some recent links that we've found interesting. To receive real-time links and updates, follow us on Twitter @wbgo or search the #jazzlinks hashtag. Add "#jazzlinks" to your link tweets to hip us to any interesting content you come across online, too!
- Patrick also shines a light on the first US jazz festivals.
- WBGO's Simon Rentner shares five great Roy Eldridge recordings.
- David Adler on jazz critic-turned-saxophinist Tom Moon.
- Pianist and writer George Colligan shares Five Ways to Play Like Herbie with Keyboard Magazine.
- And did you know that WBGO produces a beautiful daily photoblog? Here's a link to today's picture.
Coming up today at WBGO:
- Rhonda Hamilton interviews George Coleman Jr. and Sr. today at noon. Tune in at 88.3 fm in the NY/NJ area or listen online.
- JazzSet features a concert by Gary Burton celebrating five (!) decades at Berklee College of Music. Listen here or tune in tonight at 6:30 for a rebroadcast.
Today's Jazz Birthdays:
Stephane Grapelli (violin) -- 1908
Dick Nash (trombone) -- 1928
Stan Puls (bass) -- 1916
Recordings cut on this date:
Bix Beiderbecke, "Davenport Blues" -- 1925
Louis Armstrong, "I've Got the World on a String" -- 1933
J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding, "Nuf Said" -- 1955
Count Basie, "Live at the Sands" -- 1966
James Brown, "Soul Power" -- 1971
Ahmad Jamal/Gary Burton, "In Concert" -- 1981
Joe Lovano, "Sounds of Joy" -- 1991
Maria Schneider, "Allegresse" -- 2000
How's that for a wake-up call? All of us here at WBGO wish you a hard-swinging day!
© 2011 WBGO
Note: These comment boards are available to the general public. Statements expressed in the comment boards do not necessarily reflect WBGO's views. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them. For more information, please read our Terms of Service.