September 5, 2013. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Montreal lives, breathes, and loves jazz every July, when millions of fans and hundreds of acts take over the city - and so does WBGO, especially Singers Unlimited and Blues Hour host Michael Bourne, who has attended the Festival International du Jazz de Montreal on our behalf every year for the past two decades.
Bourne was in Montreal once again this year, along with Simon Rentner and David Tallacksen, to deliver previews, day-by-day reports and more than two dozen behind-the-scenes interviews with the festival's music makers and organizers.
Miss something? You can relive WBGO's best moments in Montreal right here, and read some "bonus entries" to Bourne's Journal. And just as we did this year, WBGO Travel will take us to Montreal next year, and we hope fans and listeners will join us then as well. So enjoy the very best of FIJM 2013 - and FIJM 2014 - with WBGO!
WBGO's FIJM 2013 Interviews
Bourne's Montreal Journal
© 2013 WBGO
May 10, 2013. Posted by Brandy Wood.
WBGO Travel invites you to enjoy the sun, fun and music at the Newport Jazz Festival, August 2-5, 2013.
Arrive at the Newport Hotel & Marina to a Friday night welcome reception, unload your bags in your harbor view room and then get ready to hear Natalie Cole and the Bill Charlap Trio with Freddy Cole at the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the original home and opening night celebration of the Newport Jazz Festival. Saturday and Sunday mornings, hop aboard the ferry for a wide variety of musical enjoyment at the legendary outdoor Newport Jazz Festival, plus food & drink voucher for the Louis Jadot Café inside historic Fort Adams State Park. Before departing back to reality on Monday, join us for a bon voyage breakfast and take in the view from the marina. WBGO will provide you with an insider’s list of the best places to visit when the music isn’t playing, but when it is, you will hear…
Saturday musical line-up highlights include:
• Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society
• Wayne Shorter's 80th Birthday Celebration
• Robert Glasper Experiment
• Gregory Porter
• Terence Blanchard Quintet
• Bill Charlap Trio with special guests Bob Wilber & Anat Cohen
• Marcus Miller
Sunday musical line-up highlights include:
• Chick Corea & The Vigil with Christian McBride, Tim Garland, Marcus Gilmore & Charles Altura
• Eddie Palmieri Salsa Orchestra
• Dizzy Gillespie™ Big Band under the direction of Paquito D'Rivera
• Hiromi: The Trio Project with Anthony Jackson & Steve Smith
• Joshua Redman Quartet
• Roy Haynes Fountain of Youth Band
• Jim Hall Quartet with Scott Colley, Lewis Nash and special guest Julian Lage
Details of Newport weekend package:
• 3 night hotel stay at the Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina. Rooms are all Harbor View.
• Welcome Reception at the hotel on Friday
• Concert ticket for Friday night, 8pm at The International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino
• Festival admission ticket for Saturday & Sunday
• Meal voucher valued at $20 for food & drink at the Louis Jadot Café located on the festival grounds for Saturday and Sunday (total vouchers equaling $40)
• Bon Voyage Breakfast at the marina on Monday morning
• Parking at the hotel for three nights
Festival Gates open at 10am, Saturday Festival Music Program: 10:45am-7pm, Sunday Festival Music Program: 11am-6:45 pm. Ferry passes to festival site not included. Parking at festival not included.Rates & Reservations:
Price: $2,250 includes above detailed package for two people (based on double occupancy)
Inquire about single and family rates.
To make your reservation call 973-624-8880 x269 or email email@example.com
© 2013 WBGO
April 30, 2013. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
International Jazz Day kicks off WBGO's monthlong celebration of global jazz, and you can join the celebration by watching video from UNESCO’s April 30 concert in Istanbul, Turkey and listening to earwitness reports from Istanbul by WBGO producer Josh Jackson.
Jazz is increasingly embraced and played around the world. Last year, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) partnered with the Thelonious Monk Institute to celebrate the contributions of jazz to world culture, staging concerts in Paris, New Orleans and at the United Nations in New York.
This year's UNESCO concert in Istanbul featured more than 40 musicians, including Herbie Hancock, Robert Glasper, George Duke, Esperanza Spalding, Pedrito Martinez and dozens of others.
WBGO's celebration of global jazz continues on The Checkout, which airs Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m., showcases new music from this year's Jazzahead! festival in Bremen, Germany on May 7 and 14, and from South Africa on the 21st and 28th. We also have special reports on South Africa on The WBGO Journal by producer Simon Rentner, who just returned from the Cape Town Jazz Festival.
And WBGO's brand-new Travel & Events series offers behind-the-scenes tours to the Montreal Jazz Festival in June, and to Perugia and the Umbria Jazz Festival in Italy in July.
Happy International Jazz Day - and join us every day to celebrate this music we love, in every part of the globe - at WBGO!
© 2013 WBGO