February 10, 2014. Posted by Alex Ariff.
Playdate is a new series hosted by drummer Matt Wilson with highlights from the WBGO archive of live recordings. Every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., we'll broadcast a new show on WBGO-FM. You can also hear the show on demand, hear extra tracks and read web extras for each episode at WBGO.ORG/PLAYDATE, so check back all week for more surprises.
Tomorrow night, we’ll debut Show #2. Tune in to hear saxophonist Clifford Jordan (1931-93) at The Village Vanguard, the bandleader and arranger Chico O’Farrill (1921-2001) at Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing, bassist Bill Lee and the Natural Spiritual Orchestra celebrating a New Year's Eve at the WBGO performance studio, pianist Stanley Cowell in both Jordan's and Lee's groups and solo, and - from the Paul Robeson Center at Rutgers-Newark - the Vibration Society playing and singing a piece by Rahsaan Roland Kirk.
As a sneak preview on WBGO.ORG/PLAYDATE, we're streaming “Armando’s Rhumba” by Chick Corea, with by Corea on piano and Gary Burton on vibes, at Buffalo State College in 1985. The full tune can be streamed here.
Missed Show #1? Never fear, you can hear it in its entirety right here.
Thank you for joining us on Playdate With Matt Wilson!
© 2014 WBGO
February 3, 2014. Posted by Alex Ariff.
Playdate, WBGO's brand new series of stunning live recordings hosted by drummer Matt Wilson, is here! Join Matt every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. to hear rare gems from the WBGO archives.
For our first show, we celebrate our host! Tune in Tuesday, Feb. 4 to hear Matt (below right) perform with bassist Drew Gress (left) and pianist Fred Hersch (center) at the 1997 Iowa City Jazz Festival.
Join Matt Wilson Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. in February and March for this exclusive series featuring rare music from the WBGO archive of live recordings.
Get to know the our intrepid host and his accomplice, cornetist Kirk Knuffke, in this behind-the-scenes video of the recording of the Playdate theme in the WBGO studios!
Tune in tomorrow night to hear the selections below, and check in all week to get the stories behind the playdate.
© 2014 WBGO
February 1, 2014. Posted by Brandy Wood.
WBGO Travel is once again taking listeners to the festival which honored our own Michael Bourne by naming their press room after him in 2012. This year, there are two trips to the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal to choose from, so that both new travelers and those who enjoyed the trip last year will have something unique to experience.
The first trip takes place June 27-30, 2014, and the second trip takes place July 4-7, 2014.
Both trips include:
- 3 night’s accommodation at the Hyatt Regency Montreal Hotel
- Daily breakfast at the hotel
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the Festival
- A walking tour of the Burgundy Jazz in the neighbourhood that were key to the rise of Jazz in Montreal
- Priority access to free concerts in the Jam Sessions, Open House and Nightcap Heineken series at the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal
- A reserved seat in the “special guests” section for major outdoor events
- Gift bag of Montreal Jazz Festival items including: the official Festival t-shirt, a reusable bottle with the Festival logo, a bag with the Festival logo, a limited edition framed art work by Yves Archambault, Festival International de Jazz de Montréal poster artist and illustrator, a fedora hat with the Festival logo, the Festival Under the Stars Souvenir Book and the CD: Nos stars chantent le jazz by the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal
- RT Transfers to/from the airport to the Hyatt by limo-taxi / or parking at the hotel
Unique opportunities June 27-30:
- Exclusive breakfast at “La Maison du Festival “ in company of Michael Bourne
- Lunch at Pizzédélic – Michael Bourne’s favorite restaurant in Montreal
- Discovering the outdoor public market Le Marché Jean-Talon and Little Italy culinary tour
June 27th pricing (in Canadian dollars):
- Single occupancy (1 person): $1,760 taxes included
- Double occupancy (2 persons): $2,488 taxes included
- Triple occupancy (3 persons): $3,355 taxes included
- Quadruple occupancy (4 persons): $4,222 taxes included
Unique opportunities July 4-7:
- A Sunrise breakfast cruise aboard the Bateau-mouche
- A jazz dinner evening show at the house of jazz restaurant
July 4th pricing (in Canadian dollars):
Reservations and Information: 1-855-288-7344
- Single occupancy (1 person): $1,750 taxes included
- Double occupancy (2 persons): $2,465 taxes included
- Triple occupancy (3 persons): $3,377 taxes included
- Quadruple occupancy (4 persons): $4,290 taxes included
ONLINE PURCHASE for June 27-30
ONLINE PURCHASE for July 4-7
*Burgundy Jazz explores Montreal’s incredible contribution to jazz music history through the legendary musicians of Little Burgundy – the primarily black neighbourhood that was a hub of musical creativity, private clubs and speakeasies from the Jazz Age 1920s to the Golden Era of Jazz in the 1940s and 50s. Oscar Peterson, Oliver Jones, Norman Marshall Villeneuve, the Sealey Brothers, Nelson Symonds, Charlie Biddle, and Louis Metcalf are among the greats who lived or played in "Burgundy".
© 2014 WBGO