January 30, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Drummer Gerry Gibbs talks with WBGO's Gary Walker about his new CD Thrasher Dream Trio with pianist Kenny Barron and bassist Ron Carter, and a big band tribute to his father, vibraphonist Terry Gibbs, which he will lead at Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola at New York's Jazz at Lincoln Center on February 7 at 9:30 p.m. Enjoy!
© 2014 WBGO
January 22, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Trumpeter Nicholas Payton talks with WBGO's Awilda Rivera about his new recording of Miles Davis's "Sketches of Spain and performances at New York's Birdland Jazz Club this week. Enjoy!
© 2014 WBGO
January 16, 2014. Posted by Brandy Wood.
WBGO Travel invites you to enjoy the sun, fun and music at the Newport Jazz Festival, August 1-4, 2014.
Arrive at the Newport Hotel & Marina to a Friday night welcome reception, then hop aboard the trolley to take you to/from the concert at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Saturday and Sunday mornings, take a short walk to the ferry dock where you will be jetted to a full day of a variety of musical enjoyment at the legendary outdoor Festival, plus exclusive access to the WBGO Shade Tent inside historic Fort Adams State Park. Before departing back to reality on Monday, join us for a bon voyage breakfast and take in the view from the marina. WBGO will provide you with an insider’s list of the best places to visit when the music isn’t playing, but when it is, you will hear:
- Darcy James Argue
- Gary Burton, celebrating his 70th birthday, with special guest Julian Lage
- Ron Carter
- Robert Glasper
- Dr. John
- Lee Konitz
- Grace Kelly
- Prism: featuring Dave Holland, Kevin Eubanks, Eric Harland and Craig Taborn
- Cecile McLorin Salvant
- Trombone Shorty
Details of Newport weekend package:
• 3 [or 4] night hotel stay at the recently updated Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina.
• Welcome Reception at the hotel on Friday evening
• Two reserved seat concert tickets for Friday night, 8pm at The International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino, , plus round trip ground transportation to/from venue and hotel
• Two general admission festival tickets for both Saturday & Sunday
• Exclusive access to the WBGO Shade Tent near the Quad Stage
• Bon Voyage Breakfast at the marina on Monday morning
• Parking at the hotel for 3 [or 4] nights
Festival Gates open at 10am, Saturday Festival Music Program: 10:45am-7pm, Sunday Festival Music Program: 11am-6:45 pm. Ferry passes to festival site not included. Parking at festival not included.Rates & Reservations:Double Occupancy:3 Night Price: $2,350 includes above detailed package for two people
4 Night Price: $2,825 includes above detailed package for two people, plus Thursday night stay with Friday day time festival ticketsSingle Occupancy:3 Night Price: $1,930 includes above detailed package for one person
4 Night Price: $2,335 includes above detailed package for one person, plus Thursday night stay with Friday day time festival ticketsInquire about family rates. Read our Cancellation Policy.To make your reservation call 973-624-8880 x269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2014 WBGO