June 5, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Guitarist Bill Frisell joins Josh Jackson to talk about guitar memories from the 1950s. Frisell hosts "The Electric Guitar In America" at New York's Jazz At Lincoln Center June 6 and 7 with Greg Liesz on electric and pedal steel guitars, Tony Scherr on bass and Kenny Wollesen on drums.
Frisell visited WBGO June 4 to talk about the childhood musical inspirations he celebrates in the concerts and on his upcoming album "GUITAR IN THE SPACE AGE!"
Click to hear Frisell and his band perform The Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl," one of the tracks on the CD, which is slated for release by Sony/OKeh October 7.
A full version of Frisell's conversation with Jackson will air on WBGO's weekly new music magazine, The Checkout, in October. Frisell's 2012 performance at the Newport Jazz Festival was also featured on The Checkout.
Click on the image below to watch a video trailer for the album by Paul Moore and Paul Hicks, which features the band as they perform "Baja":
© 2014 WBGO
May 18, 2014. Posted by Kien Lac.
We are proud of the WBGO volunteers, a fantastic group of dedicated Jazz 88.3 FM supporters. Thanks for donating your time during the Spring Membership Campaign.
We also give thanks and recognition to the following restaurants, caterers and bakers in the New Jersey/New York metro area for supporting our campaign by providing delicious food for the volunteers and staff.
WBGO could not do this campaign without all of our supporters. We welcome you to join us. If you are interested in becoming a WBGO volunteer or donating food during our next campaign drive, please contact Sylvia Brewer at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 973-624-8880 ext. 235.
- 16 Prospect Wine Bar & Bistro (Westfield, NJ)
- Barry’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (Brooklyn, NY)
- Best Western Robert Treat (Newark, NJ)
- Bragman’s Delicatessen & Restaurant (Newark, NJ)
- Chateau of Spain (Newark, NJ)
- Casa di Pizza (Westfield, NJ)
- Ciao Pizza (Union, NJ)
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Springfield, NJ)
- Gem Tullock
- Hero King Sandwich Shop (Newark, NJ)
- Hobby’s Restaurant & Delicatessen (Newark, NJ)
- Luscious Little Dessert Company (New Rochelle, NY)
- Maadiah Café ( Montclair, NJ)
- Maize Restaurant (Newark, NJ)
- MSS Vending, Inc. (East Orange, NJ)
- Sandy Sasso
- Shanghai Jazz Restaurant & Bar (Madison, NJ)
- Spanish Pavillion (Harrison, NJ)
- Supreme Bakery (West Orange, NJ)
- SuzyQue's BBQ & Bar (West Orange, NJ)
- The Black Cow Coffee Company ( Croton-on-Hudson; Pleasantville, NY)
- The Wood Pit Barbecue (Montclair, NJ)
- Tinga Taqueria (Montclair, NJ)
- Two Boots Pizza (Jersey City, NJ)
© 2014 WBGO
April 10, 2014. Posted by Tim Wilkins.
Pianist Chick Corea talks with Josh Jackson about "Portraits," his new solo piano CD, and solo concert at New York's Town Hall on April 10. WBGO members can get discounted tickets and meet Corea after the show by calling 973-624-8880 x283.
© 2014 WBGO